[Simnibs-discuss] Coil orientation adjustment

Jack ZHANG holidayzhangrehab at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 08:33:52 CEST 2023

Hi SimNIBS developers and users,

I'd like to ask a question regarding the definition of coil orientation
during the TMS simulation.

Clinically, a 45-degree angle is always applied during the stimulation of
M1.

When adding a stimulation target, e.g., C1 (-39.84,-62.80, 68.01), the
reference coordinate is automatically set as  (-39.84,-52.80, 68.01). Under
this condition, the coil points anteriorly.

Then if I set the reference coordinate on (-29.84, -52.80, 68.01), it seems
the coil is pointing 45-degree in a P-to-A manner.

I would like to confirm if this method is acceptable (in order to have a
45-angle manually), as it doesn't take the Z axis into consideration. In
addition, when adjusting the Z coordinates, it does not change the tilting
angle of the coil (it seems the coil is always placed perpendicular to the
scalp), but it can produce different pointing directions.

Thanks for your attention on this matter,
Best regards,
Jack