[Simnibs-discuss] SimNIBS for EEG Source Reconstruction

Jesper Duemose Nielsen jesperdn at drcmr.dk
Tue Mar 23 12:04:42 CET 2021

Hi Jason

Sorry for the late reply.

 1. Yes, the leadfield is calculated for the x, y, and z components.
 2. Just omit the ground electrode. The electrodes in the forward
    solution should correspond to the electrodes in your data. Please be
    aware that due to the way the forward problem is solved with
    TDCSLEADFIELD (using reciprocity), you will need to multiply by -1
    when using it for EEG source analysis. Also, the number of channels
    in the leadfield is one less than in the cap file because one of
    them is used as reference during the simulation. You will need to
    add this yourself afterwards (all zeros). In the hdf5 file, the
    attributes 'reference_electrode' and 'electrode_names' in
    mesh_leadfield/leadfields/tdcs_leadfield should tell you which
    electrode was used as reference and the names of all the electrodes,
    respectively. Also, if you use an average reference in your inverse
    analysis, remember to also convert the forward solution to an
    average reference.
 3. We are currently working on SimNIBS 4.0 but it is not quite there
    yet. It will probably be a while before it is released but I do not
    know the exact plans. To my knowledge, we do not plan to implement
    inverse solvers in SimNIBS as there are plenty of great
    implementations available already, however, we do plan to allow
    people to interface with other packages. I believe we will support
    MNE-Python and perhaps FieldTrip. That way you should be able to
    integrate forward solutions from SimNIBS with inverse solvers from
    these software packages.

Let me know if anything is unclear.

Best wishes,

Jesper