[Simnibs-discuss] info about cTBS

Guilherme B Saturnino guilhermebs at drcmr.dk
Fri Mar 13 16:38:46 CET 2020

Hello,

In TMS, the time component and the spatial component of the fields are
decoupled. That means that we can write

E(x, t) = E(x)T(t)

E(x) is a component which is dependent on coil geometry, coil position,
and subject head geometry. That is what SimNIBS calculates.

T(t) Depends only in pulse shape and stimulation intensity. It does not
affect the spatial distribution of the field, but rather acts as a
scaling parameter. For TMS, T(t) = dI(t)/dt, that is, the rate of change
of current through the coil. This means that SimNIBS does not assume any
particular time dynamics. Rather, it takes a snapshot at the field at a
single time point, typically at the peak dI/dt value. For more time
points, all you need to do is to scale the field accordingly.

However, the peak dI/dt value is dependent on coil model, stimulator
model, pulse shape and pulse intensity. In some stimulator models, this
value is shown in the screen after a pulse.

For more information, please see:
https://simnibs.github.io/simnibs/build/html/faq.html#what-is-the-di-dt-in-tms-simulations

Best,

Guilherme