[Simnibs-discuss] anodal vs. cathodal tDCS but same e-field patterns

Fabio Masina fabio.masina83 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 13:29:33 CET 2020

Dear colleagues,

I tried to perform two tDCS simulations (both setting 2mA) using the
default head model (i.e., Ernie). The electrode positions were:

1st simulation_anodal tDCS (target electrode on F7, return on FP2)
2nd simulation_cathodal tDCS (target electrode on F7, return on FP2)

Basically, I only changed the current direction, by changing the polarity
of the target electrode accordingly to the kind of stimulation (2mA for
anodal tDCS and -2mA for cathodal tDCS).
After launching these simulations separately, I realized that the outputs
were exactly the same. Actually, I would have expected to view two
oppositive outputs. I mean, I would have expected two opposite e-field
patterns. Maybe, am I missing something?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Best.

Fabio
--