[Simnibs-discuss] Differences in Efield depending on Processing

Joel Upston jupston at unm.edu
Tue Nov 15 20:33:40 CET 2022

Axel,

Thanks for the clarification. In the inital post I modeled the second pathway with only the electrodes that were used in the pipeline, but your reasoning makes sense about the conductive paste being used essentially covers a majority of the head.

I reran using all modeled electrodes, and the electrodes not used are modeled with 0 mA current. I have attached the images where the right is the non-leadfield model and the left is the leadfield model. Where now the fields look very similar between the two different pipelines. It looks like it does lower the field by about ~10% (max given with all electrodes 0.47 V/m and only used electrodes 0.521 V/m). This would be consistent with what I have found with other stimulations. The benefit is that although it does seem to change the magnitude of the electric field, the spatial distribution does not seem to change.

So, if we were to target a specific value efield magnitude for a ROI, any optimization problem using the leadfield might be incorrect due to the lower magnitude of the leadfield processing. I wonder how to correct for this during any optimization, or maybe not necessary since it could be that the scale is similar no matter what stimulation is modeled. So maybe you could just correct in post optimal solution found. Do you think it is worth looking at the spherical model with a possible additional tissue representing the conductive paste compared to the one without the additional conductive paste tissue, to get a sense of the scale estimate?

Thanks,

Joel