[Simnibs-discuss] tRNS & bilateral hMT+ stimulation

Simay Üner simayuner.nsc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 13:04:54 CEST 2022

Hello,

First of all, thank you for developing this simulation software as it is
really useful for us researchers!

I am a PhD student who will use tES soon, but both the project and this
stimulation/simulation literature is very new to me, so I need some
clarifications if you don't mind helping.

We have NeuroConn DC-Stimulator-Plus
<https://www.neurocaregroup.com/dc_stimulator_plus> here in the lab, and I
want to stimulate hMT+ (V5) *bilaterally *with tRNS. The problem is that
only* one-channel stimulation* is possible with this device.

First,
- Because I am going to use tRNS mode instead of giving a direct current
stimulation, I couldn't be sure that the simulation I run on this software
is applicable for tACS experiments, especially for tRNS. If it is not
applicable, is there anything you can recommend to me to visualize tRNS
effect with one channel stimulation? I want to be sure about the regions
that will be affected by my stimulation, and if tDCS simulations are not
applicable for this, I need to find another way.

Second,
- If applicable for tRNS, when I run simulations for tDCS -because of one
channel stimulation- I saw that a huge area between my two stimulation
sites (probably around PO7-PO8 electrode regions) are substantially
affected by stimulation, regardless of the current applied. I am sure that
you are much more familiar with the procedure, so I wanted to ask if there
is anything you can recommend to do to stimulate *only electrode
positions *(and
near areas of course) but not the regions in between with tRNS, considering
that I don't have any chance to use multichannel systems.

I have to note that the smallest electrodes I have are rectangular 3cm x
3cm (and sponges), and new orders are delivered to Turkey in several months
which will, unfortunately, affect my schedule.

Any response and recommendation will be very helpful.
Thank you for your time,

Kind regards,
--
*Simay Üner*