[Simnibs-discuss] [tACS] multi electrodes montage

Axel Thielscher axelt at drcmr.dk
Tue Sep 22 15:42:22 CEST 2020

Dear Laurent:

> So the question is : if I am happy with the result of a 2 + 1 montage
> by using CP3 and P5 (at -1 mA) and P1 (at +2mA) with PI electrodes in
> a tDCS perspective...how to translate this in terms of tACS parameters ?

Opposite signs in TDCS translate to a 180° phase shift in TACS. So here
you will have currents with the opposite phase in P1 versus CP3 and P5.
I suggest that you look at the normal component of E on the cortex (see
also https://simnibs.github.io/simnibs/build/html/faq.html for an
explanation fo the normal component): All positions that have opposite
signs have a 180° phase shift to each other. You can tell Simnibs to
calculate the normal component in the simulation options.

For more details, please see also
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/500314v1 and
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28919407/

Best regards,