[Simnibs-discuss] manual correction

Axel Thielscher axelt at drcmr.dk
Wed Sep 2 16:47:14 CEST 2020

Hi Witold,

regarding your question 1: correct

regarding your question 2: You cannot use SimNIBS to automatically
optimize electrode position for TI. However, I added a matlab function
and an example on how to calculate and visualize the TI envelop
amplitude, so that you can manually test and optimize the montages:

https://github.com/simnibs/simnibs/blob/master/simnibs/matlab/get_maxTI.m

https://github.com/simnibs/simnibs/blob/master/simnibs/examples/simulations/TI.m

Best regards,

Axel

On 8/28/2020 10:20 PM, w.tomasz at sensusmed.pl wrote:
> Hi Oula,
>
> Thanks for your answers and suggestions.
> 1)If I understand correctly, the final headform in the B and B +
> ranges will be sufficient to calculate the optimal stimulation if I
> first check with Freesurfer for large deviations in bone and skin
> mapping ?
>
> 2)Is it possible to use software to calculate appropriate electrode
> placement for transcranial temporal interference stimulation?
> Of course also to visualize the distribution of the electric field.
> For example, for fields with a frequency of 200 and 210 Hz.
> The area of interest is the L-amygdala.
>
> Best regards,
> Witold
> W dniu 2020-08-19 13:36, Oula Puonti napisał(a):
>> Hi Witold,
>>
>> 1) When using CAT the cortical and white matter surfaces are not
>> generated from the volume files (.nii.gz), but rather the surface
>> files stored in the mask_prerp folder. Thus editing the volume files
>>
>> will have no effect on the cortical or white matter surfaces in the
>> final headmodel. You can, however, edit the CSF, skull, and scalp
>> masks and these edits are propagated to the final head model.
>>
>> If you want to edit the GM and WM masks, please disable CAT12
>> (--no-cat flag). After that the edits on the WM and GM masks will also
>> change the final headmodel.
>>
>> 2) We have not studied this systematically, but in my experience CAT12
>> does a good job even if the grade it assigns is B. That being said,
>> you should still inspect the resulting segmentation for large errors
>> using the
>>
>> headreco check call.
>>
>> 3 & 4) I'm not that experienced with manual edits and the little
>> experience I have is limited to freeview. I've heard people
>> succesfully using ITK snap, but if you find it too difficult, I would
>> consider using freeview through the windows subsystem for linux. It's
>> a bit trickier, but the instructions here are quite clear:
>>
>> https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/WindowsSupport
>>
>> Best,
>> Oula
>> -------------------------
>>
>> From: Simnibs-discuss <simnibs-discuss-bounces at drcmr.dk

Dr. Axel Thielscher
Associate Professor
Danish Research Center for Magnetic Resonance
Copenhagen University Hospital Hvidovre
DK-2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
www.drcmr.dk
&