[Simnibs-discuss] Position window and efield

Guilherme B Saturnino guilhermebs at drcmr.dk
Tue Mar 3 17:25:33 CET 2020

Dear Jade,

Thanks a lot for your interest in SimNIBS.

/in the position window, and next to the dropdown box for the EEG cap
positions, are these x y z coordinates that I can input in MNI space?/

These positions are in world space of the input scan. However, you can
easily transform between subject space and MNI space. Please see here
for more information:

https://simnibs.github.io/simnibs/build/html/documentation/coordinates.html

You could also skip the GUI completely and setup simulations with python
or matlab scripts where you input MNI coordinates directly. Examples:

https://github.com/simnibs/simnibs/blob/master/simnibs/examples/simulations/TMS_MNI.m

https://github.com/simnibs/simnibs/blob/master/simnibs/examples/simulations/TMS_MNI.py

/Also, if I generate a model with stimulation to specific coordinates
and then calculate the norm Efield at the control ROI, what does the
output equate to? How can I know if this is equivalent to say their
motor threshold?
/

/
/

The output is an electric field in V/m. We know that electric fields and
motor threshold in TMS are correlated (see
https://doi.org/10.1093/cercor/bhw292,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2019.116486, https://doi.org/
<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2019.116486>10.1016/j.brs.2017.09.011
<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brs.2017.09.011>). But the relationship
between the two is complex. So we can't say at the moment that if the
electric field in a given region (for example hand knob) is above a
certain value you will for sure an MEP, but rather that a larger
electric field increases the probability of getting an MEP.

Best Regards,

Guilherme