[Simnibs-discuss] [External] Re: mri2mesh error

Smyk, Nathan Nathan.Smyk at Pennmedicine.upenn.edu
Wed Dec 9 17:38:43 CET 2020

Thanks so much! This is great info; I'll try this. I appreciate it!

Best,
Nate Smyk
________________________________
From: Axel Thielscher <axelt at drcmr.dk>
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 11:37 AM
To: Smyk, Nathan <Nathan.Smyk at Pennmedicine.upenn.edu>; mrsnicolson at gmail.com <mrsnicolson at gmail.com>
Cc: simnibs-discuss at drcmr.dk <simnibs-discuss at drcmr.dk>
Subject: [External] Re: [Simnibs-discuss] mri2mesh error

Hi,

we tracked the error down to the use of Freesurfer 7 instead of Freesurfer 6.

mri2mesh uses mris_convert from freesurfer to convert the the freesurfer surfaces to .stl-files. Up to version 6, mris_convert wrote ascii .stl-files; since freesurfer 7, it writes only binary .stl-files. Because meshfix can only read ascii stl-files, it crashes.

So, for now, the work around is to use Freesurfer 6.0.1...

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Axel