[Simnibs-discuss] Difference in Electric field by optimization and simulation

Axel Thielscher axelt at drcmr.dk
Thu Mar 23 13:11:07 CET 2023

Hi Steven,

when calculating the leadfields that form the input of the optimization
algorithm, electrodes are added to the mesh at all positions defined by
the EEG cap layout. For large electrodes, neighboring electrodes will
start to overlap and create a continuous well-conductive layer covering
major parts of the scalp. When simulating TDCS current flow in a head
model modified like that, most of the currents will then just be shunted
within the well-conductive "electrode layer" and not enter the head nor
brain. In other words, leadfield-based optimization algorithms are
designed to work with small electrodes.

Best regards,

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Thielscher
Professor of Neurophysics and Neuroimaging