[Simnibs-discuss] Coil position _question modified

Mana Biabani mana.biabanimoghadam at monash.edu
Fri Jan 22 00:03:43 CET 2021

Hi again!

I apologise for the additional email. I would like to modify my question below regarding the coil position.

Would appreciate if you could ignore my previous email and help me with the points below:

> I am using SimNIBS to simulate TMS-induced e-field and had two questions :
>
> 1- Is there any method to measure the exact distance between the coil and scalp surface? The 4mm default distance is not appropriate for my experiment; as the participants have EEG cap on and also there is a foam between the coil and the cap. Also, I’d like to account for the differences in the hair volume, etc.  I was thinking to measure the minimum euclidean distance between the coil centre and the scalp coordinates but as far as I understood the coil centre is actually a scalp position. So, it shouldn’t work.
>
> 2- My second question was about the coil orientation (in a more accurate way than choosing a reference electrode …). I am using Brainsight to get the information about the coil position, but not sure which outputs represent coil angels around different axes. I guess I can use [m0n0 m0n1 m0n2;  m1n0 m1n1 m1n2; m2n0 m2n1 m2n2 ] from Brainsight to make the transformation matrix, is that correct? If so, could you please let me know how I should modify them to be compatible with the coil axes in SimNIBS.

Kind regards,
Mana

---
MANA BIABANI
Research Fellow

Turner Institute for Brain and Mental Health
Monash University
18 Innovation Walk
Clayton VIC 3800
Australia