[Simnibs-discuss] T2 imaging protocol questions

Oula oulap at drcmr.dk
Tue Apr 6 08:19:27 CEST 2021

Hi Valerie,

If you’re planning to skip a T1w scan completely the answer is yes and no. You can create a headmodel with headreco using a FLAIR, and that will likely turn out fairly okay, but you cannot use the CAT12 toolbox (included in headreco) to create the middle cortical surface. CAT12 requires a T1 in order to work. So if you need the middle cortical surface to visualize the electric field or mapping onto the FreeSurfer average space then you should have a T1w scan.

W.r.t. the T1/T2 it’s exactly as you described: the field-of-view is cropped to the smaller scan. So if the T2 only had the upper part of the head, the T1 will be masked to also only have the upper part of the head, and the masked/missing part is reconstructed from the template.

Best,
Oula